Monday, October 22, 2012

5 (Unjustly) Underrated Films







As I mentioned in my review of Freaks, I love watching underrated films. It feels like I'm giving recognition to someone's hard work that mainstream audiences have ignored or forgotten. It's also fun showing these films to friends and to see their reactions to these films.

So I've decided to write a list of films that I think are unjustly underrated. Since I'll want to write more in-depth articles about most of these films, these reviews will be brief. I'll also be uploading a Picasa file so that you can see the posters and stills from the films I mention.

With that said, let's get started:


1. The Great Mouse Detective (1986)

It's a shame that this film is often overlooked because it was the critical and commercial success of this film that set the stage for the 'Disney Renaissance.' The Great Mouse Detective is essentially "Sherlock Holmes" with mice instead of humans. But what makes this film stand out are the hero and the villain. Both Basil and Ratigan are egocentric geniuses who are equally matched intellectually. Throughout the film, they have go back-and-forth in their battle to one-up each other, having the time of their lives. The animation and atmosphere are also good and while the story doesn't offer many surprises, it's still offers a great viewing experience.

2. Shadowlands (1993)

This film covers C.S. Lewis relationship with Joy Gresham, which goes from a platonic friendship to a strong feeling of love and devotion that faces Joy's terminal illness and death. What I love about this film is the relationship between Jack (Lewis' nickname) and Joy. This isn't a Hollywood 'Happily Ever After' romance. This is a bittersweet love that confronts questions like, "why love if losing hurts so much?" Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger give wonderful performances and the rest of the cast are great as well.  I'll admit, this is one of the only films to make me teary-eyed. And in my book, a film isn't worth recommending unless it leaves me emotional.

3. Strangers on a Train (1951)

One of the first Alfred Hitchcock films I ever saw, I'm amazed that this film doesn't have the recognition that Hitchcock's other films have; i.e. Psycho and North by Northwest. The film's premise is very unique. While the other actors do a good job, it's Robert Walker who steals the show as the antagonist Bruno - a mentally unstable man who feels so degraded by his father that he's willing to kill a complete stranger in order to ensure his father's death. Walker portrays him as both a sympathetic victim and creep.The build-up to the climax is great, I remember watching this film for the first time being so engrossed in. Indeed, I don't think I've ever seen a more intense tennis game ever since! So if you're looking for a film with an interesting premise with fascinating characters, this film's for you. 

4. The Rescuers Down Under (1990)

This is another Disney film that flies under the radar. But while The Great Mouse Detective has a growing fan base, The Rescuers Down Under is still unknown to the general public. Admittedly, the story isn't anything too spectacular - mice heading to Australia to save a boy. But what makes this film stand out is the animation. The animation has such an epic feel to it that it's hard not to get swept up by the scenery. Cody and the eagle's flying scene alone sends chills down my spine. So in my opinion, this is the best Disney sequel and deserves to be recognized with the other films that were released during the Disney Renaissance.

5. Beauty and the Beast (1976)

OK, I know I'm cheating here because this is actually a Hallmark TV movie. But it's still a full length motion picture, so it counts in my book. The film is basically a basic adaptation of the classic fairy tale. But what makes this adaptation special are the lead actors. George C. Scott and Trish Van Deare give excellent performances. Scott's portrays him as someone who's on the edge between him human and his animal self. And Van Deare portrays Belle as a strong-willed woman who's not afraid to stand up the Beast. I'm sure that there wasn't a whole lot of money put into this film, but the sets and costumes look great. Unfortunately, the DVD is extremely hard to find, but in my mind, it's well worth the search.


So that's it for this review. Please check these films out, it well worth finding and watching these hidden treasures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment