Monday, October 8, 2012

Kindred Spirit: An Interview with Brett McCracken

In my last post, I wrote about the reasons people enjoy films. As I was looking for articles about people's love for films, I kept asking myself these questions: "Are there any Christians who not only love films, but see them as potentials for ministry tools?"

 During my search, I found an article written by Brett McCracken. http://stillsearching.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/why-do-we-watch-movies/

McCracken is the author of Hipster Christianity: When Church & Cool Collide and has written for The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, CNN.com, The Princeton Theological Review, Mediascape, Books & Culture, Christianity Today, Relevant, IMAGE Journal, Q Ideas and Conversantlife.com 

My reaction when I read the article: "Hallelujah! My question has been answered! I'd like to get to know him." Here is the interview I had with him.

1. When did you develop your interest in films? Why?


I have loved films as far back as I can remember. I loved the magic of cinema and the way that it transported you across the world, to different places and times. It was a way to travel without really moving. And I have always loved travel. 

I became interested in films from a critical/aesthetic perspective in high school and college, pretty much when I started watching films by Terrence Malick. I began writing movie reviews for newspapers, websites and my interest only grew from there.

2. Why do you believe it's important for Christians not to ignore films?


I think it's important because film is part of our culture. Films are part of the vocabulary of our times. If we ignore films or hide from them, I believe it will impair Christians in their gospel witness. Our communication will suffer because our vocabulary will be limited. Furthermore, films can be beautiful pieces of art that can testify to the glory of God and teach us things about goodness, truth and beauty. It would be sad for Christians if they downplayed or ignored this possibility.


3. (In your opinion) How should a Christian 'embrace' films?


With discernment. I don't think it's wise for Christians to embrace a film uncritically, without first thinking about whether or not the film is something that honestly and excellently explores truth and beauty. I believe Christians can and should be enthusiastic about films, but they should be selective about which ones they are enthusiastic about.


4. Do you believe that Christians can make an impact on films if they invested time to study it (and not just for entertainment)

Certainly. But it will take time and effort. One cannot make a significant impact on the film industry by taking shortcuts. I would love to see Christians who are serious about film and take the time to learn about film history, theory, criticism, etc. before they set out to make films. They should spend time watching art films and the classics of cinema, learning the craft from the masters and thinking deeply about what it is about cinema that affects us in such a profound way.


5. It's true that Christians usually stay away from films because of objectionable content. How do you 'handle' objectionable content and how can Christians handle it?


Again, with caution and discernment. Pay especially close attention to your own weaknesses: do you struggle with lust? Avoid movies with sex/nudity. Do you have a hard time controlling your language? Avoid movies with hundreds of cuss words. Also, be mindful of your community.  Don't take a friend to see a horror movie if you know they have a hard time with violence. I'd advise reading Romans 14 to think clearly about the idea of Christian liberty and conscience in these areas. Also, i suggest asking yourself with any movie: would I be comfortable watching this in my church, or with my pastor? If not, you should be concerned.

To read the rest of McCracken's blog: go to http://stillsearching.wordpress.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment